Prospect Sister School- William Penn Elementary
Did you know that Prospect has a sister school? We are proud to say that we have a long-standing relationship with William Penn Elementary, an inner city public school located in Chicago’s Lawndale neighborhood!
The Prospect PTO operates the “Ollie Rewards Store” once a month at William Penn. Penn students are able to earn reward tickets for positive behavior in the classroom throughout the month. At the end of each month they get to visit the Rewards Store and “buy” a special treat (generally a small toy or a school supply). The Rewards Store is stocked with items lovingly donated by Prospect families and items purchased with a generous donation from the Prospect PTO.
How Can I Help?
- We are currently seeking volunteers to join our committee and help staff the Ollie store on the 2nd or 3rd Wednesdays each month. If you would be interested in joining the William Penn Sister School committee, please email Sarah Gin (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Stacey Knotts (email@example.com). The next volunteer opportunity at the store will be on Wednesday, September 19. Please join us!
- The “Ollie Rewards Store” at William Penn Elementary is stocked with items graciously donated by Prospect families and items purchased with a generous donation from the Prospect PTO. Each student with an Ollie Dollar to spend may “buy” a small toy or school supply. We also encourage them to select a donated book and possibly choose a gently used article of clothing. Items popular with the Penn students are usually the same items currently popular with your children!
Items We Are Currently Seeking Include:
• Basketballs and Footballs (small or regulation-size)
• Legos (a single set or batch of random pieces can provide many “mini-sets” for rewards)
• Barbies and Barbie clothing
• Action figures with movable parts (i.e., Superheroes, etc.) and accessories
• Matchbox cars or other car/truck toys in good condition
• NBA/NFL paraphernalia (including tee shirts, basketball shorts and warm-up pants)
• Coloring books
• Small containers of Play doh
• Phone case covers
• New sparkly earbud headphones
• Recent issues of sports magazines
• Drawstring bags (like the kind you get from a 10k as a gear check bag)
• “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” – type of books
• Beginner readers and early chapter books (think books labeled Level 1, 2 or 3 as well as Magic Tree House, Junie B Jones, A to Z Mysteries, Geronimo Stilton, etc.)
• Winter clothing for boys and girls (grades K-8)
We are also looking for gently used “larger ticket” toys that your children may be done playing with – Penn students have the ability to “save” their tickets each month in order to “buy” a bigger toy in the coming months. It is wonderful to see a child save up their Ollie Dollars over a few months and purchase something fun.
Thank you for your assistance! Donations may be placed in the William Penn donation box located in the hallway just inside Prospect’s main doors at any time.